05 April 2012

Honey Bundt

My kids have colds again. 

My granny knew the cure for the common cold a long, long time ago. So did her granny, and her granny's granny. Honey, citrus, and love. Now we have scientific proof - honey not only soothes a sore throat, it also aids in controlling bacteria and supports the immune system. Citrus is full of vitamin C, another immune booster, antioxidants and folate. And love? Well, I don't need a lab report to tell me that it makes you feel better (but there is one anyway)

I'm a big fan of Manuka honey - I always have some in my cupboard. That, and some organic local honey, which I have been told is good for fighting inflammation from exposure to local pollens. I also used a mix of half ghee, half grapeseed oil to boost antioxidents and linoleic acid. As usual, I have made a gluten free and dairy free option, but this could easily be made with standard ingredients.

I made this cake entirely by hand, as it was the 31st March, and I did so in honour of Earth Hour. It was lovely and fluffy - there is no need to use electric beaters. The kids also helped me with this one - it's super easy. It's not a super-sweet cake, but trust me, if they help you make it, they won't even notice.

Ingredients:
  • 400g self raising flour (gluten free)
  • 200g butter - softened (dairy free ghee or grapeseed oil)
  • 3 eggs
  • 100g honey (try and use local or manuka)
  • pinch salt
  • dash vanilla
  • 200ml milk (rice milk, A2 milk or camel milk)
Icing:
  • 2 tsp orange juice
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). In a large bowl, whisk eggs, honey, vanilla and butter/ghee/oil until creamy, then add sifted dry ingredients and milk alternating, whisking as you go - work those muscles!
  2. Grease your pan (and flour a little if it is not particularly non-stick), then bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a knife tests clean.
  3. When cake is cooled, mix icing ingredients together, adding more sugar or juice until you get a consistency like pouring cream, then drizzle over cake.


With all gluten free and dairy free substitutes, there always needs to be a little give and take. Rice milks vary in sweetness and density, and gluten free flour mixes vary in texture and dryness. You may need more or less liquid. I use Doves flour, and I find it quite dry - hence the large quantity of oil in this cake. I live in Dubai and so camel milk is readily available - lucky me. It is low in bad Casein and fat, and very creamy to taste. If only they would make it into a casein-free cheese, I would be happy! 
 

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely loving that picture, Sarah!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thanks Anja, coming from you, that makes me feel sky high!

      Delete
  2. Stunning photo!! I love that recipe, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget the recipe Sarah but that photograph is stunning :) Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww - you don't like my recipe? Thanks for the compliment on the photo :)

      Delete
  4. I made this cake today and it turned out delicious. I also added zest of one orange to the batter.

    ReplyDelete

Think you have time for this one?

Please Stumble Me!